by Bill Thompson | December 20, 2014
Millions of people suffer from digestive problems that are caused by a lack of stomach acid. In this article, you will find simple protocols that will help to cure GERD or reflux problems. The protocols will also benefit an adult or child who eats a normal amount of food but remains either underweight or overweight because of a digestive problem.
This article will help people who have the following problems:
- GERD or Reflux problems
- Poor Digestion (This problem can also be caused by parasites or candida)
- Lack of Bicarbonates in the Pancreatic Juices
If you wish, you can actually get your stomach gastric acid levels accurately tested and checked using the Heidelberg Test which is a simple doctor’s test that you can take.
Stomach digestion must occur in an acid environment. Proper pH levels of stomach acidity trigger pepsin, a protease enzyme. Stomach muscles mash the food. Proper pH levels from stomach acid kill all pathogens incoming with food (most important!!).
The correct and proper pH acid levels in the stomach crucially trigger the secretin hormone. This hormone makes the pancreas secrete important digestive enzymes and alkaline bicarbonates into the duodenum (upper intestines) for Main Stage digestion to successfully occur. The duodenum should be at an alkaline to neutral pH — not acidic — for proper digestion, otherwise the pancreatic enzymes won’t work.
In this scenario, duodenal pancreatic enzymes are not triggered by secretin hormone from the stomach because of insufficient gastric acid amount or strength. Incoming pathogens with food are not killed because the stomach acid is too weak. When no alkaline bicarbonate juices or enzymes are triggered from the pancreas into the duodenum for Main Stage digestion, the duodenal environment remains dangerously acidic.
As a result, the duodenal enzymes are unable to work and do their job of digesting food in the duodenum — which is not alkaline to neutral but is acidic. Food in the duodenum remains acidic and stagnates — thus perpetuating a wonderful breeding ground for all forms of pathogens and disease. The duodenum rejects food giving rise to acid reflux and can develop many other long term problems like Leaky Gut, IBS, Candida, arthritis etc.
The GERD Protocol
You must take the following EVERY DAY to remedy these particular GERD or Reflux problems:
(All given dosages are for adults)
- Betaine HCL tablets at every meal(see below for dosage)
- Pancreatin enzymes (with papain and bromelain) at every meal
- Liquid Kelp Extract (for the iodine) once or twice a day as recommended
- Magnesium Chloride (250 mgs) twice a day with meals
- Sea Salt (1/2 tsp per day in a glass of water)
- Vitamin B50 complex (once a day) with a meal
- Vitamin B12 at least 1000 mcg once a day with a meal
- Zinc gluconate (25 mgs) once a day with a meal
- Sodium Bicarbonate…An hour after every meal you also should take 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of Sodium Bicarbonate or Baking Soda (using Arm & Hammer brand is fine) with water. This will ensure proper Main Stage Digestion occurs in the duodenum in an alkaline to neutral environment. This protocol will also not affect stomach digestion, as digestion actually stops about half an hour after you finish your meal.
The core of the above protocol is just the Betaine HCL supplemented with the pancreatin enzymes; you can use just these two supplements if you wish. However, I’ve found that the complete protocol works far better towards a cure. The other added nutrients are much needed for proper acidity and digestion.
For clarification, the protocol shown above will help to cure low stomach acid, GERD (reflux) and certain digestion problems (e.g., too thin, underweight). Both betaine and pancreatin alone should cure the GERD and Reflux issues. But if you have more serious digestion problems as well, then I would strongly suggest that you take all the nutrients in the above protocol.
When you first start taking Betaine HCL, you should increase the dose by one tablet at every meal until you get an immediate acidic feeling in the stomach. Then cut back by one or two tablets and stay at that dose. Your stomach acid is now at the right acid pH level or strength. Over time, your stomach will absorb the HCL from the betaine and heal itself. You will be able to reduce the betaine dose slowly to zero as your stomach heals GERD and helps to attain proper natural acid levels, again over time.
Summary of the Dangers of Taking Acid Blocking Drugs (PPI’s)
When you take PPI’s (stomach acid inhibitors) this will hugely lower your normal stomach acid and cause several serious problems;
- The right high acid strength of stomach acid is vital and necessary to kill all germs, pathogens, etc. incoming with the food you eat. So if you lower the stomach acid by taking PPI’s, then all manner of pathogens and disease will be freely allowed into the intestines. From there, they will spread, unhindered, into the body to create disease.
- The correct high stomach acid strength is also needed to hormonally trigger the pancreatic enzymes and juices for correct Main Stage Digestion (MSD) in the upper intestines or duodenum. If the stomach acid amount or strength is too low, then MSD will not be triggered. When Main Stage Digestion does not occur, the food will just sit there in the duodenum, stagnating and rapidly breeding pathogens. This leads to the spread of even more disease in the body.
- Taking PPI’s wrecks proper digestion in the duodenum, leading to excessive loss of weight and other serious problems.
- Low levels of stomach acid over a long period of time can lead to many other difficult problems and diseases in the intestines – including bacterial or fungal infections, parasitic infections, an impaired immune system, hypothyroid issues and problems with iron in the blood – just to name a few.
The information provided in this document should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. It is not a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you may have a health problem, you should consult your health care provider.