Millions of people suffer from seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff) and many more millions of dollars are spent on over the counter and prescription products to treat dandruff.
Unfortunately, these products can be expensive, may have side effects, and and don’t always work! Earth Clinic readers have been sharing their inexpensive and effective natural solutions for dandruff for over 15 years. And these simple remedies are usually free of side effects!
The top natural remedy for dandruff is apple cider vinegar, diluted and applied topically to the scalp.
What is the Cause of Dandruff?
Earth Clinic’s Ted cites a number of different causes of dandruff, including candida, fungus in the blood, pH imbalance in the body, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies and parasites. As those with dandruff know, it is not caused by a lack of cleanliness and it is an embarrassing problem!
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff
Apple cider vinegar is Earth Clinic’s most popular natural remedy for dandruff. Some use regular apple cider vinegar from the grocery store, and others use raw and organic apple cider vinegar from the health food store or larger grocery stores.
- Mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1/2 cup pure water.
- Put the solution in a spray bottle.
- Fifteen minutes before your shower, spray your hair and head with the vinegar solution.
- Shower and rinse out the mixture.
- Alternately spray or pour the mixture on your hair after you shampoo and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before you rinse it out.
Other Natural Cures for Dandruff
Borax – Mix 2 Tablespoons of borax powder into a cup of warm water. Use this solution instead of a conditioner to rinse your hair after shampooing. Borax softens water and is also effective against parasites and fungus.
Tea Tree Essential Oil – Tea tree essential oil can be added to shampoo (1 teaspoon per 16 ounce bottle of shampoo) or 20 drops can be added to the apple cider vinegar and water solution recommended above. Tea tree is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory.
Supplements for Dandruff
Because dandruff can be caused by nutritional deficiencies, sometimes the issue is address by supplements alone. Iodine, B-12 and Vitamin D3 are three supplements that Earth Clinic readers have found to cure their dandruff.
Free Cures for Dandruff
Those who are tired of spending lots of money on ineffective products may be happy to learn of some cures that will cost virtually nothing! The “Rainwater Cure” is simply collecting rainwater and using it to rinse your hair. Marjorie from Tennessee says it will leave your hair baby-soft and shiny.
Leah from Canada was using Cold Shower Therapy for another purpose and found that a month later, her dandruff was cured!
Additional Tips for Eliminating Dandruff
- Use natural shampoos; avoid SLS’s in your shampoo.
- Use a filter on your shower head, to filter out chlorine and fluoride.
- Drink more water each day.
- Drink an alkalizing tonic each day – 1 Tablespoon of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar in a tall glass of water once or twice a day.
- Use a boar’s bristle brush to brush your hair and stimulate your scalp once or twice a day.
- Eat beets each day. One Earth Clinic reader found that this cured his dandruff. Beets help to clean the liver.
Scroll down to read what Earth Clinic contributors have used to cure their dandruff and please share your stories with us!