Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is a flavor additive that is commonly added to canned vegetables, soup, processed meats and Chinese food. While generally recognized as safe by the FDA, MSG is an additive that can cause health concerns when consumed consistently. A buildup of MSG in the system is termed as MSG toxicity.
What is MSG Toxicity?
MSG is a brain neurotoxin that can largely be considered a slow poison. Often disguised as a flavor additive by terms including “natural strawberry flavor” and “other natural flavors,” it is often difficult to pinpoint MSG in products. As such, repeated consumption of the additive serves as a silent but lethal poison.
Regular consumption of the product quickly leads to a number of associated symptoms, strategically named MSG toxicity. Symptoms of toxicity can be complex and difficult to identify. Nonetheless, common symptoms include headache, flushing, sweating, facial pressure and muscle tightness. Numbness, tingling in the extremities, heart palpitations, chest pain, nausea and weakness are all common.
Natural Remedies for MSG Poisoning
Obviously the key to treating MSG poisoning is avoiding the additive itself; however, additional measures can be taken to treat the symptoms of toxicity. Two of the most effective treatments for MSG toxicity are cream of tartar and water. When dissolved in water and drank, cream of tartar neutralizes MSG and eliminates symptoms. Additionally, cream of tartar creates an alkaline environment in the body, which in turn raises the pH of the body and stabilizes the system. Drinking plenty of water after consuming foods with MSG also helps eliminate the additive. Water naturally flushes the system and cleanses the body of the buildup of MSG.