Sinus infections can often be treated at home by implementing specific dietary changes to reduce nasal congestion and alleviate sinus pain.
Since having good general health is dependent upon a number of factors, it only stands to reason that balancing these factors can also lead to healing of specific health conditions, such as sinus infections. Components that factor into overall health include the effective functioning of the body’s systems as well as a healthy diet, exercise, and emotional well-being.
Diet Changes for Sinus Infections
A balanced diet is one of the most effective ways to treat any health condition. In addition to remedying a sinus infection, a number of nutritional recommendations can help boost the immune system, fight infection, and offer relief.
- Adding foods rich in vitamin C is one of the most important first steps.
- Grapefruit, oranges and tangerines have all been shown to clear congestion and support immune function.
- Adding chili peppers, ginger, garlic and/or horseradish to the diet helps break up mucus and relieve congestion.
- Pineapple, a food high in bromelain, and foods such as salmon, tuna, and walnuts, high in omega-3 fats, help reduce inflammation.
- Drinking plenty of water is also important for flushing and cleansing the body.
Foods To Avoid
In addition to adding specific foods to the diet, certain foods should also be avoided.
Common allergy-causing foods, such as dairy products, eggs, wheat, and corn should be eaten in very limited amounts.
Sugar substitutes, carbonated drinks, caffeine and sweetened foods and beverages should also be avoided.
Certain lifestyle changes can also contribute to recovery. Avoiding smoke and identifying specific environmental allergies helps prevent nasal irritation. Likewise, using a humidifier helps keep the sinuses moist. Exercise is also important to promote recovery and wellness.
While it may seem that making dietary and lifestyle changes is a null attempt to treat a sinus infection, these changes have a drastic effect on the nasal passageways as well as on overall health.
Continue reading below for helpful tips from our readers who healed their sinus issues with dietary changes and let us know what worked for you!