A popular home remedy for coughing is vapor rub. This is generally a pleasant and easy treatment because it is applied to the feet or chest, especially convenient when treating children who don’t like to take medication or internal natural remedies.
Over the counter vapor rubs usually contain synthetic ingredients and petroleum. The body does absorb what is put on the skin. If you would not drink petroleum, you should not put it on your body.
The good news is that you can make your own vapor rub and it will be just as, if not more effective, with ingredients that you can feel comfortable putting on your skin and the skin of your family.
Recipe for Homemade Vapor Rub for Cough
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or almond oil)
- 2 tablespoons of beeswax pastilles
- 30 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops peppermint oil
- 10 drops of frankincense or pine or wintergreen essential oil (optional)
- Heat the oil in a a double boiler. Melt the beeswax into the oil. Remove from heat. Add the essential oils. The salve will “set up” as it cools.
- Apply the vapor rub to the chest and back, over the lung area, or on the bottoms of the feet, as often as needed to relieve a cough.
You can skip the beeswax and just mix the oils together. The solid form makes it more convenient to apply. Or you can use coconut oil instead of olive oil and beeswax. As long as it is kept below 77 degrees, the coconut oil will remain a solid. This does melt a little more quickly than the salve would when you apply it, but if you don’t have beeswax handy, it will work.
Now you have a natural vapor rub to use for cough and congestion for your family! If you are going to use this on a baby or small child, use only 1/4 of the amount of essential oils suggested in the recipe.
Have you used a vapor rub for cough? Please share your story with us!
Continue reading to find our readers’ successes with vapor rub for a cough!