Parvo is a very serious virus common among puppies that is quite contagious. Thankfully, natural Parvo treatments can be very effective, but they must be administered as soon as possible and continued every couple of hours for at least two to three days.
Activated charcoal combined with an electrolyte solution is the top home treatment for the canine parvovirus in dogs, according to over 30 Earth Clinic readers. Apple cider vinegar is also helpful when combined with activated charcoal and Pedialyte.
Parvo is especially dangerous because it causes vomiting and diarrhea, which can quickly lead to dehydration and even death in puppies. Action must be taken immediately or the dog will die in a matter of hours.
Best Natural Parvo Treatment – Activated Charcoal and Pedialyte
Activated Charcoal works well to stop diarrhea in puppies. The electrolyte solution helps to replace lost minerals from the diarrhea and vomiting and also to rehydrate the puppy.
Activated Charcoal powder (or tablets that you grind into powder)
Electrolyte Solution (Pedialyte)
Mix 1 tablespoon of activated charcoal into 1 cup of electrolyte solution. Shake the solution before each dose.
- At first you will want to give a dose of the charcoal & electrolyte solution every hour. (Even more often is fine, just don’t give so much that your puppy vomits back up the medicine.)
- It may take you some time to give each dose. Be patient, giving just a bit at a time to make sure your puppy keeps it down.
- After four hours, give the solution every two hours until you begin to see improvement.
- Once you begin to see improvement, give the solution every 4-6 hours. Don’t hesitate to increase the frequency again if it seems necessary.
These are just general recommendations. The size, age, and severity of sickness will affect the dosing schedule. You can always dose more often if your puppy seems very weak.
Once your puppy seems to be healed and no longer has any diarrhea, continue to give the activated charcoal twice daily for one week. At this point, you can mix the activated charcoal powder with water instead of electrolyte solution.
How Much is a Dose of Charcoal/Electrolyte Solution for Parvo?
You may need to be giving the dose with a syringe.
- 1 tablespoon charcoal powder per cup of electrolyte solution.
- A 1 pound puppy will get 1/4 cc (a few drops) per dose.
- A 5 pound puppy will get about 1 cc’s (1/5th teaspoon) per dose.
- A 10 pound puppy with get about 2 cc’s (a little less than 1/2 teaspoon) per dose.
- A 20 pound puppy will get about 5 cc’s (1 teaspoon) per dose.
- A 40 pound dog will get about 10 cc’s (2 teaspoons) per dose.
- A 120 pound dog will get about 30 cc’s (2 tablespoons) per dose.
It is better to give less more often and have the solution stay in the puppy than have him vomit it up.
Between doses, keep plain electrolyte solution available if your puppy is up and about. If your puppy is not, offer more electrolyte solution by syringe between doses, especially after any bouts of diarrhea.
Where Can I Get Activated Charcoal Powder?
Activated charcoal powder can be purchased online at amazon, locally in health food stores or pharmacies (you may only be able to find capsules in pharmacies, but you can empty the capsules out to get the powder.)
Stores that sell fish supplies with have carbon, which is charcoal. This can be ground up in a food processer or coffee grinder in an emergency if you cannot find activated charcoal powder.
What Kind of Electrolyte Solution Should I Use?
You can buy oral rehydration solution used for babies in the baby section of grocery stores. Pedialyte is the brand most often mentioned here on Earth Clinic in Parvo posts. You can also make your own.
Homemade Electrolyte Solution for Parvo
- 1 quart water
- ½ teaspoon Lite salt (for the potassium and sodium)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Coconut water is also a good substitute for electrolyte solution.
Feeding a Dog Recovering from Parvo
If your puppy has been off his feed, you can reintroduce food slowly. White rice and plain boiled chicken are good options to feed a puppy recovering from digestive distress. White rice prepared with chicken broth instead of water will add some extra nutrients.
Colloidal Silver for Parvo
Colloidal Silver is an excellent remedy for many viruses, including parvovirus.
Give your puppy 1 dropperful 4 times a day. Large puppies can take 2 droppersful per dose. Tiny puppies can take just ½ a dropperful per dose.
Your puppy may need around the clock care if he is very sick.
Puppies can dehydrate very quickly. Dehydration can cause death. If you are unable to get your puppy to take his doses of medicine or liquids, you should get help from your vet who can give subcutaneous fluids or an IV.
Make sure to continue reading to learn how Earth Clinic readers saved their puppies using various natural remedies mentioned above.
Most Popular Parvo RemediesTotal number of 4 and 5 star reviews as reported by Earth Clinic readers who used a particular remedy to treat Parvo in their dog,
|Apple Cider Vinegar||3|
|Oil of Oregano||2|
|Goat Milk and Raw Egg||1|
|Mustard Powder (South Africa)||1|
Have you treated a puppy with parvo? Please send us your feedback and save the lives of more dogs.