Whether or not you make a smoothie for breakfast each day, you have certainly heard about them. And what is not to like? A smoothie can provide you with a delicious start to your day, chock full of nutrition and energy.
10 Advantages of a Smoothie Meal
- Smoothies are easy to make.
- Smoothies leave little mess to clean up.
- Smoothies are ideal for those who don’t really like to eat much in the morning. A good breakfast gets your metabolism off to a good start and gives your brain something to work with when you start you day at work or school.
- Smoothies are convenient if you need to have breakfast on the go. No need to rush through breakfast (eating fast is terrible for your digestion!) or worse yet, get a drive through breakfast that leaves you a bit overfull and ready for a nap.
- Reluctant fruit and vegetable consumers find smoothies to be an easy way to get some of these important foods into the diet.
- Smoothies are refreshing and tasty!
- There is no end of variety when it comes to smoothies.
- You can tailor make your smoothie to suit your particular nutritional needs.
- While popular for breakfast, smoothies can be made at any time of day. They made a great afternoon snack, or even dinner if you are not in the mood to cook.
- Kids love them, too!
What Should I Put into My Smoothie?
A base of milk, yogurt or kefir works well. Each of these will provide protein. Juice is an alternative to the base, but will not provide protein.
Fruit will add some sweetness and minerals to your smoothie. Bananas are especially wonderful. If you make a habit of peeling your overripe bananas, breaking them into a few pieces and adding them to the freezer, you will have them ready to add to smoothies any time. Mango, papaya, strawberries and apples are all great fruits for smoothies as well.
Vegetables will provide a variety of nutrients and fiber to the mix. Kale and spinach will get you your greens first thing in the morning, with no pain. Fresh basil is another delicious green for smoothies.
Adding one or more superfoods like chia seeds, blueberries, cacao powder or flax seeds makes your smoothie a powerhouse meal.
How Should I Blend My Smoothie?
A Vitamix is one of the best machines for making smoothies in. It chops vegetables up so thoroughly that the only evidence of greens like kale and spinach is the color.
Regular blenders work as well, they just don’t chop as finely and your end result won’t be quite so smooth, but it is still worth it.
A blender bottle, the type with a whisk-type ball in it will blend some ingredients, but not ice cubes, frozen fruits like bananas, and vegetables.
Mama’s Kale Spinach Smoothie
- 1 cup chopped organic spinach
- 1 cup chopped organic kale
- 1 banana
- 1 cup chilled almond or flax milk
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
- A few ice cubes
Blend almond milk and greens first. Add ice cubes, banana and chia seeds. Blend some more. Enjoy!
Continue reading below for more smoothie tips from Mama to Many!