Painful, unsightly, chronic, and embarrassing are a few words to describe the suffering of those with Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS). Those who have this condition sometimes spend many years and thousands of dollars on doctors, drug therapies, and surgeries, often with less than satisfactory results. However, there are quite a few home remedies that can help and even heal the HS boils. The top remedy for HS is the spice turmeric, which is an anti-inflammatory herb. Other home remedies include dietary changes, applying warm compresses to the affected areas, taking soothing baths, and using zinc gluconate supplements.
Over the past decade, our Earth Clinic readers have shared hundreds of stories of their journey with HS, the natural remedies they have tried, and their joyful success stories. Readers also share their personal pain and victories in dealing with the emotional and relational challenges that come with this distressing condition.
What is HS?
Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) is a chronic skin disease that is often misdiagnosed. Small, pea-size lumps generally appear around the apocrine sweat gland areas, such as under the armpits, breasts, groin, inner thighs, and buttocks. These infected areas, which form clusters of abscesses, can swell to be quite large and very often painful.
Natural Remedies for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
This inexpensive spice is the most effective remedy for healing HS boils, according to dozens of our readers. Turmeric is used as an internal treatment. While many prefer to swallow turmeric capsules daily, you can also simply take 1 teaspoon of powdered organic turmeric in 1/4 cup of water three times a day. You may also want to try diluting the turmeric in warm almond, rice, or regular dairy milk. One Earth Clinic reader found that it was easiest taken with yogurt and through a straw. For those who prefer to use capsules, 2-4 capsules are taken 2-3 times daily.
Click here to read more about turmeric for HS and feedback from hundreds of Earth Clinic readers who tried this natural remedy!
Dietary Change for HS
Many individuals who have been suffering with hidradenitis suppurativa have experienced some degree of success by making certain dietary changes. These changes include:
- Eliminating processed foods
- Eating mainly organic meats, produce, and other foods
- Consuming the daily recommended amount of fruits and vegetables
- Incorporating green juices into the diet
- Limiting wheat, flour, gluten, dairy, chocolate, and caffeine
- Reducing or eliminating sugar
Triggers for HS
Earth Clinic readers have found a number of things that will trigger an HS attack including:
- Certain laundry detergents
- Some deodorants
- Chemicals like perfumes and cleaning products
- Bubble baths
- Food allergies
- Hormonal changes (e.g. puberty and menstruation)
Lifestyle Changes for HS
- Quit smoking, or better yet, do not start
- Lose some weight, (admittedly easier said than done when you are dealing with pain)
- Get enough rest (at least one reader found that lack of sleep make his HS worse)
- Eat dinner earlier (one reader found that this made a difference in his outbreaks)
OTC Treatment for HS
Many remedies for HS can be found at your local drugstore, and quite inexpensively at that.
- Witch hazel to use topically as an astringent
- Epsom salt for baths (1 cup in a warm bath for 20 minutes 3 times a week, or as desired)
- Iodine to use topically
- Anti-bacterial soap
Herbs and Supplements for HS
- Omega supplements
- Zinc Gluconate
- Vitamin C
- Burdock root, a blood purifying herb
Recipe for a Salve for HS
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons turmeric root powder
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tea tree essential oil
Mix ingredients together. Store in a jar. Apply to boils as needed. Because of the turmeric, this salve will stain and old clothes should be worn after applying it. For this reason, it may be best to apply this remedy at bedtime only.
Continuing reading below to see our extensive list of remedies, as reported from our readers. If you have tried a natural remedy for your HS, please be sure to share your story with others!